Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Healing Process

It has been about 72 hours since I crossed the finish line and even though the runner's high is long gone, the aches and pains decided to hang around a little while longer.

Nobody ever thinks of running a marathon as a humbling experience, but I have been humbled repeatedly ever since mile 22. It's funny because at one moment you feel like you can conquer the world and the next moment you have trouble getting out of bed.

For those of you interested in running a marathon, here is a list of the pains you can expect to experience (these are what I experienced, there are plenty more I was lucky not to encounter): Blisters on feet, Leg cramps, Side-aches, Stress-fractures, Muscle spasms, Bone spurs, and Sore muscles that last for days.

If you didn't want to run a marathon before, I bet you do now.

I talk about these pains not only because I feel it's important that people be prepared, but also because each one of those pains made finishing the race that much more special. The magic is in the misery, and what makes the race truly special is the journey you take along the way.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

No comments:

Post a Comment