Monday, January 19, 2009

Overwhelming emotion

Distance runners always talk about the "runners high" they experience after a great run. While I have experienced this feeling, it pales in comparison to the feeling I felt after finishing my first marathon.

After crossing the finish line and receiving my medal, I was hit with a wave of emotion like I have never experienced before. The feelings of pain and agony, mixed with joy and confidence and just about every emotion in between filled my body. You can call it endorphins or a spiritual moment or you can even call me delusional, but running had never before caused me to be on the verge of tears.

I managed to fight the tears back as I high-fived complete strangers around me. I had achieved my goal successfully and it felt great. 

Dean Karnazes, an incredible "running role model" of mine says in one of his books, "Immerse yourself in something deeply and with heartfelt intensity-continually improve, never give up-this is fulfillment, this is success."

No comments:

Post a Comment