Monday, January 24, 2011

Carlsbad Marathon Race Review

For my race report, please scroll down to the next post.

I normally don't do this, but I felt it necessary to praise the organizers of the Carlsbad Marathon for a great race. This was my ninth marathon to date and so far has been my favorite. I wanted to take a minute to review some aspects of the race and to give my thoughts on how I felt about my personal race...

The course: In a word, stunning. A large majority of the course was along the water with the beginning of the race offering a view of the ocean at sunrise. You simply can't beat that view. The course was predominately flat with just enough rolling hills to allow for a challenge.

The swag: Very nice, long sleeve shirt and a hat (not a typical giveaway for a lot of marathons).

The expo: While not the biggest ever, offered a strong amount of vendors as well as being well organized and easy to get in and out of.

The spectators/entertainment/course support: Those that were out along the race rivaled the well-respected Rock and Roll Marathon series. Excellent live entertainment and plenty of well serviced aid stations. A strong amount of spectators, thanks in part to the half-marathon, was a huge boost to runners.

How I felt about my race: Though I finished well of of my personal best marathon time, this was only my third marathon under the four-hour mark and my first since May of 2009. What I was most proud of, however, was the consistent splits I was able to maintain (between 8:40 and 8:50). Thanks to the course, my Maniac friends, my cute supporter and a strong performance, this was easily my favorite marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment