Saturday, February 12, 2011

Falling

As a runner, I don't mind blisters on my feet or even losing the occasional toenail. I can put up with some chafing or even turning an ankle every once in a while. The one thing I can't stand is falling. Face down, hands to the ground, scrape up your knees type of falling.

To some runners, falling may be just as normal as the occasional blister, but in my short running "career" i've been very lucky and have managed to stay off the pavement...at least until the last couple of days.

Thinking back, I can only remember falling one time while running. Three years...one fall. The last two days? Ate pavement on both runs. Un-freaking-believable.

If you have ever read my blog, you have shared in the many life lessons I have learned through running. This lesson is no different. It may sound simple, but if you are not focusing on life where you are at right now, you will stumble and fall.

Too often I find myself planning for the future, working towards the future and never taking my eye off of what lies ahead. Sometimes the present sneaks up like an uneven sidewalk and forces me to come to a screeching halt.

I've had to learn, in life and in running, that the future will get here and i'll be ready for it...in the meantime I need to stay focused on the present, living and loving now, because I hate falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment